Oracle Company has a well-established certification program. They offer lots of certification exams related to their products such as Java Enterprise Edition, MySQL, Oracle Database, Java Standard, etc. Their certifications are geared toward professionals with all degree of expertise from Associate to expert level. This article only reviews topics covered in Oracle Database 11g Administration exam. It is important to note that Oracle Database SQL Fundamental exam is prerequisite for all of Oracle Database Administration exams such as Oracle Database 12c Administration. Lastly, prior skills in using Linux commands and operating system are highly recommended for all system admin candidates as Oracle Databases run on Linux.
Oracle Database 11g - Administration Overview
This Oracle 11g administration exam will allow the student to gain the skills necessary for day-to-day administration of an Oracle database. The primary audiences for this exam are: Database administrators Web server administrators System administrators Implementation specialists Data center support engineers Senior application designers and developers.
Major tasks to be considered within this exam are:
- Configuration of the Linux and MS Windows operating systems in anticipation of a database installation
- Server Class installation of the Oracle 11g R2 Enterprise Edition database
- Verification of a valid database installation
- Database administrator interface options, including the use of Enterprise Manager, command-line SQL*Plus, and terminal console SSH
- Database deinstallation
- Online software patching
- Startup and shutdown of database services and related software components
- Super administrator authentication options
- An in-depth exploration of the database architecture, including memory, process and data structures, and the management of those structures.
- Management of database files.
- Specialized facilities intended to maximize performance of enterprise-scale transactional applications, such as the shared SQL and PL/SQL cache, the Result Cache, the database buffer cache, and other similar components.
- Management of security policies and procedures, including administration of user accounts, roles, privileges and profiles.
- Utilization of advanced self-tuning and self-management capabilities, including the use of Oracle-Managed Files, database Advisors and other components of the Management Framework.
- Performance monitoring, problem troubleshooting, and resolving lock and conflict issues.
- Using the Oracle Enterprise Manager and SQL interfaces for administration tasks.
- Control over database support services, including the Database Control, Oracle Net and others.
- A primer on backup and recovery structures and strategies.
- Operating system-specific considerations for various platforms, especially Linux and MS Windows Server.
Exam Topic Outline
1 -Installation and Upgrade Part
- Configuring the Server for Installation
- Enterprise Edition Installation
- Verify the Installation
- Upgrade, Deinstallation and Patching
2 – Part A
- Manually Starting & Stopping Database Services
- Exploring the Oracle Database Architecture: General
- Exploring the Oracle Database Architecture: Instance Memory
- Exploring the Oracle Database Architecture: Instance Processes
- Creating an Oracle Database
- Enabling Transparent Data Encryption
- Manage Databases Storage Structures: TableSpaces
- Manage Database Storage Structures: Advanced TableSpaces
- Manage Database Storage Structures: Data Files & Temp Files
- Managing Undo Data
3 – Part B
- Network Environment: Oracle Net Services
- Network Environment: Oracle Shared Servers
- Security: Implementing Database Security
- Security: Administering User Security
- Moving Data: SQL Loader
- Moving Data: Export & Import
- Database Maintenance & Performance Monitoring
- Managing Concurrency & Locks
- Backup and Recovery Concepts and Configuration
By now you have a better understanding of what topics come in an Oracle Database 11g Administration exam. If your goal is to obtain Oracle Database 11g Administration or Oracle Database 12c Administration certification, you should start with SQL programming first, then move on to learning Linux (Oracle databases are running on Linux operating system, so installation and management of Oracle databases without knowledge of Linux would be difficult), and finally move on to either Oracle Database 12c or 11g Administration exam. Lastly, it is important to note that the following database certifications are comparable with Oracle Database Administration exams: Microsoft SQL Server certification, SAP HANA, and IBM Certified Database Administrator. Therefore, it is a good idea to shine your resume and professional credentials by obtaining at least two database administration certifications.
It is advisable to consult with an IT career counselor to understand what career options best fits your skills. For instance, if you want to be a software engineer, learning HTML and CSS might not fit the bill. Here is an excellent article for learning more on coding and technology career roadmap. Once you know what career path you wish to pursue, you can make a plan on what, when, and how to learn. There are lots of online resources for learning coding and technology in general. For teenagers and high school students, High School Technology Services offers variety of hands-on training. For adults and professionals, Coding Bootcamps and DC Web Makers Companies offer basic to advance project-based programming and technology classes.